2002-11-08 Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA

Redaktører: Democracyrose, Michael

2002-11-08 Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA

Indlægaf Michael » 14. apr 2011, 23:20

Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
Åbningsbands: CKY & Mix Master Mike
Billedgalleri

NOTE: Efter "Live And Let Die", laver Axl sjov: "Tom, what do you think that was? Either it was cupcake or dog sh*t." Efter 'You Could Be Mine,' siger Axl: "You didn't think we'd be here, did you?" Før "My Michelle", kommenterer Axl på optøjerne i Vancouver: "So last night... it would appear... that, it seems to appear that someone actually called the police to meet me at the airport before they even canceled the show. That's just... I guess that's just my imagination that someone would possibly do such a thing. 'Cuz we know that every single human being is an honest person. OK, back to fun and games. What song should we do? OK, uh... let's do "My Michelle". Axl laver igen sjov før "Madagascar": "Let's see what we can f*ck with next. We'd like to thank CKY and we'd like to thank Mix Master Mike for coming here tonight to help entertain you folks. This is a song about... how professional racing really pisses me off - this is called 'Mad-at-Nascar!'" Under Buckethead’s solo, spiller han dele af "Big Sur Moon", "Star Wars Theme", "A Pirate’s Life For Me" & "Hog Bitch Stomp".

1. Welcome to the jungle
  2. It's so easy
  3. Mr. Brownstone
  4. Live and let die
  5. Think about you
  6. You could be mine
  7. Knockin' on heaven's door
    Robin Finck Guitar solo
  8. Sweet child o' mine
  9. Out ta get me
  10. My Michelle
  11. Chinese democracy
  12. Madagascar
    Piano solo/November rain
  13. The Blues
    Buckethead Guitar solo
  14. Rocket queen
  15. Patience
  16. Nightrain

Encore:

Robin Finck Guitar solo
  17. Paradise city

Billede
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Geografisk sted: Næstved

Re: 2002-11-08 Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA

Indlægaf Michael » 14. apr 2011, 23:21

Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA, November 8th 2002, Preview

TACOMA BRACES FOR ROSE!
- Gordo

Hot on the heels of their first riot in ten years, Guns-n-Roses storm the Tacoma/Seatle area tonight for what has become the vitriolic kick-off of their N.American jaunt. Tacoma Dome marketing directors, confirm that Rose and co, are in Seatle, and the show is "on". In addition, the show is garnering so much attention the spokesperson "has been on the phone all day. I have never seen a show get so much attention, in fact the Rolling Stones, Tool, and The Boss never created such a hullabalo. It is the talk of the town. I've never seen anything like it--Television and radio stations from all over the country are here. It's crazy!"

Tacoma Dome spokesmen confirm that Clear Channel representatives told her airplane problems, coupled with weather forced the delay of Rose's arrival in Vancouver last night--which prompted the GM Place promoters to cancel the show. Rose, with delays, was expected to arrive in Vancouver at 9:00 p.m. and reportedly would have arrived at GM Place "no later than 9:45 p.m." stated a spokemen, leading to speculation of a "quick trigger to cancel by GM Place promoters." Conflicting reports continue to flood the internet, as skeptism surrounds official explanations of last nights wanton events.

Ticket sales in Tacoma are "brisk and have picked up dramatically today due to the publicity," stated a TacomDome spokesman. Tonights seating arrangement will accomodate up to 12,000 fans, and is similar to Tool's set-up last month. Over 7,000 tickets have been sold as of 2 p.m. pacific time, with lines forming at the booths. "We are expecting a sold-out show." Tacoma Dome officials have beefed up security in case Rose, noted for his eccentric nature, incites a riot.

Guns-n-Roses next event is in Boise, ID on Monday evening at the BoiseDome.
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Indlægaf Michael » 14. apr 2011, 23:24

The Lollipop Kid's Review

Sorry if this seems a bit rushed. I got out of the T-dome at 12:04 and I have my review up by 12:40.That is pretty good if u ask me!

Merchandise Lots of Tshirts we havent seen ( i think they were 35 bucks, maybe 25) They even had a purple basketbal jersey that said Gnr on front and "Rose 8" on back. They had GnR belt buckles for all you hicks too!

Let's see here. I am not really gonna get too much into the opening bands. CKY wasn't that special. I mean, they seem like a decent band, and they DEFINITELY tried to get the crowd into it, but I dont think anyone knew their songs. They started it off by shouting, "Do any of you even know who the f*ck we are?! We're CKY!" Mix Master Mike was cool though. I thought there was more energy coming from him, although most people didnt get into a lot of the music he played. There was one cool mix that people started getting into, Disturbed's Down with the Sickness and RATM Bull's on Parade. He also played stuff by the Beasties, NERD, House of Pain,Linkin Park, Rob Zombie, Busta Rhymes...

Crowd estimation: Hell if I know. 5 or 6 thousand. *shrugs*

Anyway, on to the main shiznit. GnR was "supposed" to take the stage at around 9. They came on at 9:50. How I love to wait!

The stage. There were two levels to the stage. The main stage and then a smaller elevated stage (for drums and keys) that was connected to the main stage by two sets of stairs (about five stairs in each set) On each side of the main stage there were these slightly elevated "wings" things as I call them. So Axl or whoever could race from one wing, across the main stage, and then onto the other wing. I was surprised that nobody tripped trying to do that. Behind the elevated second stage were three video screens. Behind that were 8 long golden tapestries that had Chinese writing on them.

They opened with the same intro they have been doing forever. The one from RIR 3 if you need to be reminded. Kicks into WTTJ. Next was It's so Easy. I noticed that Buckethead was moving around more on stage than I have usually seen him do. He was on the small elevated stage next to Brain and the drums quite a bit.

Costumes:
Axl: same outfit throughout. White Raiders jersey #80, black leather pants, red bandana, braids.
Robin: Black button up shirt, black pants. It also looked like he cut his hair shorter in back. It made him look like an old bald man. I didnt like it. He also wore black and white tuxedo shoes. (bUt he is still the coolest dude I know!)
Tommy: Gray (I think) t-shirt, gray (i think) pants.
Fortus: Black and white checked pants. Gray T-shirt with "LiP" on it.
Brain: Red baseball cap. Sleeveless red t'shirt. Couldnt read what it said on it.
Buckethead: Cargo beige khakis, blue top, dark cape.

Next came Brownstone.
Then LALD. Flames burst from the stage on this song, and scared the sh*t out of me at first with loud bangs and stuff. Pictures of bombs exploding were on the screens. Axl let out 3 really long, and pretty damn good screams on this track too. Flames lasted for most of the song. It also looked like Robin wore a black motorcycle helmet during this song. One of those small ones people used to wear back in the day. *dont quote me on that!)

Think about you.
YCBM.
After YCBM Axl says, "you didn't think we'd be here, did you?"
Next is KOHD.
Finck Solo-solo cuts into SCOM. Finck also switches from a black guitar to a brownish one. He uses the brown one the rest of the show. ROBIN KICKS ASS on the solos for this one! Best I have ever heard him do for SCOM.

Place goes dark and on video screen there is a short movie showing some redneck sherrif saying something like, "I dont know who you are, but we dont like that kind of attitude around here."
Cuts into Out ta Get me.

Next Axl says something like, (Dont quote me on this) "It would appear axl called the police before I even cancelled the show. (then he says something about honesty." Then, "Now back to fun and games. What song should we do?"
My Michelle. (Says something about cup holders)
Robin Finck solo-cuts into Chinese Democracy (chinese writing on screen)
After CD finished Axl thanks CKY and MMM for entertaining the crowd earlier.
Next he says (I think!) "'This is a song about how professional racing pisses me off."
Madagascar. (Shows clips on civil rights movement on screen)

Next axl says "lemme see the piano. You guys gettin' ready for the interlude?"
November Rain. Buckethead offstage for song until last part. Showers of sparks come down at the end of NR.
The Blues (This song of all the new ones played seemed to get the best crowd reaction. Axl did a good job singing here.)
Axl introduces Buckethead.
First Bucket does the nunchucks. Then he does a kick ass dance. The crowd LOVES it.
Buckethead plays a bunch of stuff. There was one I didn't know, then something off Colma. Star Wars. Pirates of the Carribean. Chicken Binge. (I think the crowd really loved Bucket!)

Rocket Queen. Axl seems to miss a few bars on this song. (Introduces Fortus during RQ too)
Next is Patience. Axl puts on a mini KFC hat on his head. Then he puts another one on his chin. (Two mini KFC buckets at once!) Then he puts them both on his ears. Bumps into Tommy and starts laughing. Axl gets the crowd to wave their arms at the end of the song.

Next you hear the Night train whistle blow. "Fuckin whistle," laughs Axl.
Night Train. Axl puts on cowboy hat.
Encore: Robin solo, Paradise City.

So that's it. No new songs. Not much of an explanation. It was just one of GnR's regular shows. Fortus was the sh*t, though! He was all over the place and really brough Robin and Tommy into the fray with him. Fortus has such a better stage presence than Tobias.
I sorta noticed that Buckethead really didnt go near anyone the entire night, unless he was on the elevated stage next to Brain and the drums and keyboarders.
Oh well, I dont know what else to say.
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Indlægaf Michael » 14. apr 2011, 23:25

Guns n' Roses Live In Tacoma 2002 - MTV TV Report - Inlcuding Interviews With Various Band
http://youtu.be/Vhne3YwVpr8

Her hører man rent faktisk Buckethead tale!
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Indlægaf Michael » 16. sep 2012, 12:25

Axl Blows Out Throat, Dons Chicken Bucket For Glitchy Guns Tour Launch
Band plays to half-full venue, faces annoying technical obstacles.

TACOMA, Washington — Crawling from the wreckage of their noisily aborted tour kickoff in Vancouver the night before — which ended in a fan riot and a bloody, club-wielding response by local police (see "Fans Riot After Guns N' Roses Tour Kickoff Canceled: Kurt Loder Reports") — Guns N' Roses came charging into the Tacoma Dome, about 45 minutes outside of Seattle, with considerable pent-up energy on Friday. Unfortunately, there wasn't quite enough of it to entirely overcome some annoying technical obstacles that laid in wait.

The Dome is a boomy place at best; with only about half of its 22,500 seats occupied, as was the case with this show, the resulting sonic wallow often obscured the band's remarkable precision. On top of that, singer Axl Rose's microphone line slowly deteriorated throughout the course of the two-hour-plus set: By the end, his trademark wail was jabbing in and out of the mix so erratically that he started overcompensating, and finished the night (we were told) with blown vocal cords (Click for photos from the show).

These sound problems obscured some of the best efforts of an impressive band. The new Guns N' Roses is a big group — three guitars and two keyboards along with bass and drums — and the level of its musicianship is unusually high. One-time Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson and ex-Primus drummer Brian Mantia propel the band with the requisite bottom-end muscle, but with rare agility, too. Chris Pittman is extraordinarily flamboyant for a guy who traffics in keyboards. And former Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, who tempers his screaming leads with soulful control, is also a maestro of pure, string-ripping noise.

And then there's Buckethead. You know that a guy wearing a deadpan white mask and a fried-chicken bucket on his head is becoming a serious cult star when a couple dozen fans turn up in the audience sporting KFC headware of their own. And you definitely know the news is out when Axl Rose himself, midway through the old Guns hit "Patience," straps on a little mini-bucket, too. But the really riveting thing about Buckethead — who's a veteran of the avant-funk-fusion scene — isn't his get-up; it's the jaw-dropping precision with which he can tear through a finger-blurring solo. He's super-fast and lyrical at the same time. He also does a robot-dance interlude that has to be witnessed to be fully appreciated.

All of the band's instrumental fireworks (and the show's explosive, old-school pyrotechnics) serve to illuminate the charismatic presence of Axl Rose, of course. His inimitable shriek remains ... well, inimitable — and he can still hold those keening notes beyond what might seem to be normal human ability. He also probably racks up as much non-stop sprint mileage onstage as most frontmen half his age.

Chinese Democracy, the new Guns album Rose has been promising for the past decade, won't be out till February. (Yes — so they say!) Therefore, the new band's repertoire is heavily studded with vintage tunes: "Welcome to the Jungle," of course, and "Paradise City." And everybody gets to sing along to "Sweet Child O' Mine," too, and "November Rain," "Live and Let Die," and "Mr. Brownstone." Even "Oh My God." (Well, maybe not.)

But the future of Guns N' Roses lies in the direction of the handful of new songs the group is currently playing: the gorgeous ballad "Madagascar," the gut-shaking "Rhiad" and the monumentally riffed-out "Chinese Democracy" itself. These songs, largely composed by Rose and the whole band (there are "probably hundreds" of others, according to keyboardist Dizzy Reed, probably exaggerating a bit), could sustain the ongoing GN'R project into a new creative era. It'd be nice to have them stick around.

For more sights and stories from concerts around the country, check out MTV News Tour Reports.

—Kurt LoderKurt Loder

(Kilde)
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Indlægaf Democracyrose » 17. sep 2012, 09:49

2002 var en virkelig skrøbelig periode. GNR kom aldrig rigtig ud over rampen med deres come back...
They call you famous but
people think you are insane...
Democracyrose
Administrator

Geografisk sted: København

Indlægaf Michael » 17. sep 2012, 10:14

Ja, det er også svært at finde folk der taler om de shows, med mindre de har noget nedsættende at sige om Axl og hans Mickey Mouse stemme :-D Men jeg synes da at der var et par få succesfulde shows som de spillede trods alt - men når man læser det hele i en oversigt kan man virkelig se hvor svært det var for dem at blive accepteret - som det er i dag. Det meste drejer sig specielt om Axls punktlighed - heller ikke sjovt at vente flere timer efter showet skulle være på...!
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Indlægaf Michael » 13. maj 2013, 12:47

Guns N Roses / Mix Master Mike
live in Tacoma (2002)
Universal Music Group

Contributed by: owen
Published on November 19th 2002

It's been nine years since Axl Rose elected to go into his self-created retirement/exile. Nine years since he has toured the United States, and eleven years since he has released an album of new material. It would be hard to deny that within the past decade Axl has had a less than perfect relationship with the other original members of G n R. Co-founders Slash and Duff left the group years ago; leading many fans to think the band would be no more. This would not be case, however, within the mind of frontman Rose. Instead of letting laying the band's name to rest in the annals of rock legendary a la Led Zeppelin, Axl opted to buy out the name from the other original members and head out with a backing band of completely new hired guns.

While he could have easily booked a tour on his solo name power alone, he instead chose to gleam off the time honored G n R trademark, a move many consider one of the music industry's biggest taboos. After several line up changes, the band now consists mainly of unheard-of musicians plucked by Axl from other bands such as Nine Inch Nails and Primus. The most notable addition to G n R is avant-garde solo guitarist Buckethead, whose underground credibility undoubtedly is something Axl recognized and hoped to cash in on.

Axl has created a name for himself as being one of rock's most unpredictable and pretentious characters. It's no secret that he has the hair trigger temperament to walk off stage at any given time or to fail showing up all-together. It was this very behavior that spurred a riot in Montreal during the "Use Your Illusion" tour when he left after only a few songs due to what he has since claimed "vocal difficulties". It was no surprise to read in the paper that he was a no show for his opening gig in Vancouver BC Apparently he was tied up at the airport from a late flight from Los Angeles. The truth behind this reasoning is anyone's guess, but it certainly created a lot of pissed-off fans who had been literally left in the cold waiting for Axl to show up. Being the day after the Vancouver fiasco, and now officially becoming the tour's opening night, all eyes were going to be placed on Tacoma, Washington to see what Axl would do next.

I arrived at the venue at about 8:00 PM, half an hour after the show's listed start time to a less than full audience. Many of the seats were empty and the floor area seemed at about 3/4 capacity. I unfortunately missed the opening band CKY, who had just been announced as the tour's openers only two days before. The second opening act, Beastie Boys' DJ Mix Master Mike, was spinning a mix of rock and hip-hop beats when I arrived and continued for close to 45 minutes. I really enjoyed his set, but couldn't help but think how much things have changed since the days when I saw Skid Row open for the band in the very same place a decade ago to a nearly maximum capacity audience. Mix Master Mike got a warm response from the crowd, which came somewhat as a surprise to me since I had expected everyone there to be from a much different scene. Instead of the mullets and faded T-shirts which I had assumed would fill the place, I saw sea of people in their early 30's, many with closely cropped hair and polo shirts on. My how things have changed.

After another thirty minutes for Mix Master Mike to leave the stage and to set up for the main act, the lights finally were shut off to the sound of thousands of anxious cheers. I positioned myself on the floor about 15 feet from the stage, which seemed rather unusual for me to be able to get that close so easily. I had prepared myself for a surge of people to push into me, which to my surprise never happened. I guess G n R fans aren't as rabid as they used to be. The cheering crecendoed as soon as the opening guitar line to "Welcome to the Jungle" shot from the PA system. In a flash of light and pyrotechnics the band took the stage, with Axl shooting to center stage in his famous side step swagger.

The stage consisted of video screens in the background alternating close-up footage of the band with pre-recorded video imagery. Drummer Brain was positioned on a riser above the rest of the band with ramps leading to him on both sides of his kit. Both sides of the stage featured wings jutting into the audience for the band to run out on and give the folks in the seats better view. The lighting rig could raise and lower itself giving a different look for each song played. After seeing so many shows in small clubs lately, I will admit it was pretty exciting to be a part of the grandiose area rock experience once again.

The set consisted of a majority of material coming from the band's zillion selling debut "Appetite for Destruction". Of the albums twelve tracks, ten were performed live at the show. This was another surprise for me, since I've heard Axl mention that he didn't want to become some "rock karaoke" act of has beens. While I am not saying that I wasn't happy to hear so many of the classics from that album, it seemed like using so much material from that one album was somewhat of a desperate attempt to rekindle the fire from his glory days.

It's ironic that he mentioned the word "karaoke" in describing what he did not want to be, because it became completely apparent that the show was just that. It was no longer Guns n' Fuckin' Roses, it was Axl Rose and his Fuckin' cover band. While they are certainly a great bunch of musicians, the new members seemed to lack any of the chemistry that made the original line up so great. Long gone are the days of Slash leaning onto Duff's back as he busts out the opening riff to "Sweet Child O Mine". The urgency and drive of the old Sunset Strip glam-punk "Appetite" G n R was nowhere to be seen. Each member just looked like he belonged somewhere else other than under the moniker of Guns N Roses. If you would have told me 10 years ago that Slash would be replaced by a numchuck wielding guitarist with a KFC bucket on his head, I would have said you were out of your mind. Sure, Axl did the spastic jaunts across stage and his obligatory swagger dance, but it that he alone could not make the show compare to what it used to be.

Axl is no longer the svelte heroin-chic front man he used to be. Many of his years of isolation must have been spent eating, since his face is much more rotund now and he no longer is able to perform without a shirt on. Now he relies on wearing baggy football jerseys with braided hair under his trademark bandana. Rumors were flying around the audience that his hair is now braided to hold hair extensions covering his thinning scalp. His voice is far from the raspy banshee wail he produced on his albums. Now he lets out more of a breathless whine that relied heavily on the audience's help in singing the choruses to his songs, alternating lyrics with heavy gasps for air. His difficulty was even more apparent when he introduced three new songs in the set list. Since they were unfamiliar with the material, the lack of the audience's vocal support left him sounding extremely tired.

After running through such "Appetite" classics as "Out ta Get Me", "Nighttrain", and "Rocket Queen" as well as "Use Your Illusion" hits like "You Could Be Mine" and "November Rain", Axl left the stage only to return with an encore of "Paradise City". The song ended in a barrage of pyrotechnics and confetti with the house lights turning on to reveal a significant portion of the audience had actually left before the show was even over. While it was somewhat exciting to hear all my favorite songs performed in a live arena rock experience, I left the venue feeling like I just didn't get my money's worth. I confess I entered the show fully aware that Axl would be the only original member performing but I guess I had fabricated some illusion in my mind that it would be better than it really was. If taken for what it really is -just a cover band performing the hits of a band that used to be really great - I'll admit it's not that bad of a show. I just wish Axl would stop using the name Guns N Roses and go with something a little more accurate. Perhaps "Axl Rose's Traveling Hit Sing-Along" would be a bit more fitting.

http://www.punknews.org/review/1415/gun ... -in-tacoma
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Tilbage til 2002