[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Gnfnr.dk • Vis emne - 2002-11-22 Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, PA

2002-11-22 Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, PA

Redaktører: Democracyrose, Michael

2002-11-22 Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, PA

Indlægaf Michael » 15. apr 2011, 14:54

Vedhæftede filer
mellon-arena2.jpg
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Geografisk sted: Næstved

Re: 2002-11-22 Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, PA

Indlægaf Michael » 15. apr 2011, 14:55

For all the bad that has been said about the Detroit show, the Pittsburgh show was the complete opposite. This was an amazing show. I really didn't think Axl's voice could hold up all show, but it did. He was holding notes longer during certain songs (especially Live and Let Die) than he did 10 years ago. I don't know how this guy does it.

Security checks were HORRIBLE. I was going to buy a decent tape recorder and tape it to my leg to bootleg this show, but figured they would find it. The guy didn't even pat me down, he just told me to go. They were doing this to most people so there should definitely be some bootlegs out there.

I loved how about 10 kids immediately began to mosh during the start of the show. There is always the bodybuilder on steriods who takes his shirt off and wants to hurt someone. All the other fans sort of looked at them and got the message across that this isn't what GNR is about. I never understood moshing...I just felt it was something entertaining, yet dumb to do while a bad performance was happening. Thankfully, GNR is entertaining enough for people to just watch and go crazy.

CKY really ruined it for themselves when one of their guitarists tried to get the crowd to hate him. This made no sense to me and made what seems to be a decent band come off bad.

Mix Master Mike either really, really cool and entertaining or rather boring. He's weird as an opener but the new generation of Guns N Roses fans will love this type of thing. The old gunners really seemed to dislike it. I loved the parts that played Rob Zombie, Rage Against The Machine, etc. but other parts really dragged. A Nelly song should NEVER be played at a GNR show.

MMM ended around 9:30. From this point GNR cameras would scan the crowd looking for girls to flash. Many went for it.including two girls that decided to make out briefly. During this time I headed to the back and a bunch of people were saying how they hate Axl and he'll never show up. One guy yelled how he was leaving soon if he didn't show up.so I started talking to him. His last GNR show was San Diego 10 years ago. He didn't know too much about the new band and never heard the songs. He said if they didn't show at 10:30 he was leaving.

Hopefully he stayed till 10:47 when GNR finally came on.or else he missed one hell of a show. I noticed many people getting very upset about Axl, saying how they hated him. That there lies the beauty of Axl Rose. One minute an arena filled with people hate his guts.then he shows up and transforms into the greatest guy in the world.

The show kicked off to a great and flawless start with Jungle, It's So Easy, and Brownstone. One song right after another, no breaks. Axl was wearing a Jerome Bettis home jersey, white shoes, and black silky ADIDAS pants. Live and Let Die was UNREAL. How he held the screams that long is beyond me. During this song I felt the need to yell out, "HE'S BACK." At this point the place was rocking and it put a smile on my face to see people just getting off to the whole experience.

Things slowed down with Knockin' On Heaven's Door. We all know Axl's voice has changed from 10 years ago, but the voice he has now makes for a much smoother version of the song.

Axl then dedicated Think About You to all the girls in the audience who flashed the crowd. Another note to keep in mind is how Axl was running around like a wild man but still managed to sing fine without seeming out of breath. A powerful version of You Could Be Mine followed.

Then Robin played his intro to Sweet Child and everyone went crazy as you'd expect. People can say, Slash this, Slash that.and I loved Slash but Robin does it just as well.

Somewhere around this point Axl switched to a Mario Lemieux jersey and said something to the effect of, "I know you people are gamblers (I remember reading about a Pittsburgh show years ago where he said "I don't know much about Pittsburgh except I lost a lot of money because of the Steelers).did you really think I was gonna show up?"

Out Ta Get Me Played and then Axl said how people aren't happy about them not playing new songs but tonight would be more of a nostalgia night. However, he wanted to play a new song.Madagascar. I think this is the best new song, really strong. If you want to get looks from people, as if to say, "you are a sick freak" make sure to sing the lyrics to Madagascar. All of us have heard the new songs since the RIR 3 show, and tend to not realize how hardly anyone has heard the new songs. I wonder how much of a percent of the audience has heard those songs, I bet very little. People didn't seem real sure how to take it, but by the end dug it. More of a reception for this song than the other new ones because of the MTV Video Awards exposure.

Axl then asked for a piano, he joked around playing one intro, then played some sweet intro into November Rain. Not sure what that second intro was, but if it's the beginning of a new song, he has something. There might be nothing better than when Axl is on singing November Rain, and tonight he was on. The fire effects are a great effect.

Everyone was digging the Buckethead solo. Some people find him weird, and he is but he can play. He played the same songs he has been playing on the tour, Star Wars, Pirates Life For Me, etc. Very entertaining and he seems to be getting a cult following.

Next was Rocket Queen, followed by The Blues. Dizzy played piano for The Blues. Axl stood on top of the piano for the closing of the song. I think this song contains the best lyrics out of the new songs. The last verse of the song is something everyone has felt at least once in their life.

Due to the Detroit incident, I was worried that the show would end with Patience. Thankfully it didn't, on this night they played it the way it should be played.

Around this time Axl mentioned how he was at a restaurant and this girl seemed excited to see him. First she wanted an autograph, then he ate, she wanted a picture, than after she wanted to talk him again. "Then she began to rip me a new @#%$." Axl asked her where she heard things she was saying and she said, "I read them on the Internet." Really funny stuff. Maybe she asked him about THIS I LOVE which seems to be a subject and a burning question that will never die. Anyway, Axl said how the Internet is a great tool and even he learns things going on in his band on there. "I'll read something, then call someone and they'll say 'I didn't know that' and then add, 'oh yeah, I did hear about that."

Chinese Democracy rocked and the fire effects made it even more impressive. A teen sitting behind me said "if he can sing like this on a record, he's gonna sell a lot of @#%$ records again." The guy he was with responded..this guy can sing his ass off." They were both right.and anyone who says "Axl is too old, out of shape, etc." Has no idea what they are talking about.I'm sure he's proving it in other cities like he proved it in Pittsburgh, he's for real and so is the rest of the band. I can't stress enough what they proved tonight.

Nightrain played, leading into the encore of Robin and Paradise City. Before Paradise City Axl was waving a Terrible Towel, which is a legendary item dealing with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Axl sure knows all the tricks. Paradise City had the smoke, fireworks, confetti, etc.

I'm probably forgetting certain things but it's late.someone else will fill in what I missed. Bottom line is this, GNR is back. The crowd was filled with fans whose GNR shirts were a little tighter than when they bought them 10 years ago and new fans. People were into it. The older people sat at times, which is a bummer, but that happens. Going to this concert and getting off on it..and looking around and seeing people my age, who weren't old enough to experience the Use Your Illusion tour but discovered GNR on their own.will make you feel very, very happy. We are all very lucky that this is happening around the country..don't miss out, and take a friend. Axl Rose has done what few have done in the past. He captured one generation and is on the right track to not only recapture them but also capture a whole new generation, with the help of an excellent, tight band.

One final comment. I was seated in a way so that I could see the backstage area too. Well, at one point I saw Axl go back there (in the middle of a song) and he saw this older lady sitting on the steps. Not sure who the older lady was but Axl had a big smile on his face and jokingly acted like he was going to kick her down the steps. This wasn't for show, he's a happy man.

Axl once wrote, "I want to get to a place mentally where I can say, 'Hey, this is me, capture it,' and I'm not there yet. I'm trying to get myself healthy." Axl Rose is finally there, he's healthy.
Billede
Michael
Administrator

Geografisk sted: Næstved

Tilbage til 2002